Monday, April 23, 2012

Citrus Glazed Mahi Mahi



Tricia here!  I just recently bought the new Nokia Lumia 900 phone which has given me the nicest Carl Zeiss 8 megapixel camera one can find. To christen my new phone, I decided to showcase my "amateur" photo skills by posting my recipe of seared mahi mahi topped with a citrus glaze. Using citrus fruits as a marinade for seafood is really great for giving the fish a flaky texture without leaving the fish too dry. Also, marinating your fish is pretty quick and easy compared to marinating other meats. As a plus, you can use the remaining marinade as  a thick and yummy glaze to accompany your cooked fish.

Now, I try to be a good cook just like Siddharth, but unlike Siddharth, I try to keep things simple. Simple ingredients, simple technique. But I'm learning to be more sophisticated for my viewers. 


I bought frozen mahi mahi and let it thaw overnight in the fridge. Before cooking, I let it sit out at room temperature for about an hour. This is a pretty important step, because if any part of the fish is still frozen, it will not cook properly and you'll have a mix of really bad sushi-grade fish and an overcooked fillet.






As side dishes, I roasted a few purple and red potatoes and cauliflower, absolutely delicious, healthy and hearty.


Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 1 orange juiced
  • 1-2 lemons juiced
  • 3-4 fillets of mahi mahi
  • 1/2 head of cauliflower
  • 1lb of small potatoes (I used purple and red ones)
  • Italian seasonings
  • honey
  • 2-3 tsps of lemon zest
  • 3 tsps of orange zest

Preheat the oven at 400 degrees for the potatoes. Cut them in quarters and spread them out evenly on a baking dish. Mix in garlic, onion powder and Italian seasonings. Add a good amount of salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil. Roast the potatoes for 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are fork-tender.


For the mahi mahi marinade, zest the lemon and the orange before juicing them. Add the juices to the zest and season the marinade with salt and pepper and some dried thyme seasoning. Thyme goes very well with citrus marinades so don't be shy in adding too much of it because it stands up well with the acidity. You can use rosemary as a substitution too but I would stay away from lighter seasonings like basil and chives. Taste the marinade and add some honey to balance the sour taste. Don't worry you'll add more honey for the glaze later. I added a bit of olive oil for some fat content within the fish. This will also prevent burning your fish. 

Lemon zest - Look what my Lumia 900 can do!

In a baking dish, marinate your fillets for 20 minutes and flipping them in between to get all sides of the fish. 


On a hot pan set to high heat, add your fillets. Sear them about 4-5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness. 



After 5 minutes, the fillet is flipped!

While your fillets are cooking, take the remaining marinade and boil it to thicken it. Add more honey to help thicken it if you like. Continue stirring so you don't burn the bottom! Once your fillets are finished cooking, plate and pour your glaze over the fish and voila, dinner is served!












2 comments: