Monday, January 30, 2012

Monkey Bread Muffins

Hello fellow bakers! Happy new year!

I was just reminded by Siddharth that I haven't contributed much to our blog. My apologies and to make up for it, I have compiled a few recipes that I have tried since the holiday season.

My first recipe I tried is monkey bread with apples and cinnamon. I've made this before for Siddharth, thinking he's never had it, but to my surprise, he told me this is a pretty common baked good he had in elementary school. Monkey bread does not have bananas (that was my first guess) but it is simply sticky bread. Some say the etymology of monkey bread comes from the fact that the bread looks like monkey puzzle tree while others say that peeling the pieces of the monkey bread resembles monkey behavior. Who knows, who cares, right? This is a great, fast recipe that will give your guests something to munch on in place of coffee cakes and fruit muffins. This recipe calls for a can of prepared can of biscuits, cinnamon, sugar, butter and apples. I used Pillsbury's Grands Homestyle buttermilk biscuit dough and modified the recipe by Pillsbury to make muffins.



This is the easiest recipe, there is practically no measuring of dry ingredients at all but I've added some recommended measurements for those who don't like to eye ball. No need for muffin cups either because these muffins will slide right out of your baking sheet.

Ingredients:

1 can of 16oz can of homestyle biscuit dough (about 8 large biscuits)
3 Tbsps of butter
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 apple diced
1/4 cup white sugar
1-1.5 tsp cinnamon

Preheat your oven at 350 degrees and spray a bit of cooking oil in your muffin pan.

Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Lay out the biscuit dough and cut the biscuits in quarters. Take each quarter and roll into balls and coat them with the cinnamon sugar. Lightly press each ball into the muffin pan, about 4-5 balls per muffin cup. By the end, you should have 8-9 monkey bread muffins filled.




In a saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar with medium heat. Add your diced apples and cook until the sugar has melted. Spoon the caramel mixture over the monkey bread in the muffin pan - about 2 tsps per muffin. I reserved some of the caramel sauce as a glaze after baking.

Bake the muffins 10-12 minutes and watch those Grands building in size. You should be able to see the individual layers of dough.Now go eat them like monkeys and pull off each piece of dough one by one

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment